Re: Rear differential

To: dbinkley@argotech.com
Subject: Re: Rear differential
From: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:20:03 -0700
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 15:50:45 -0700 Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>
writes:
>What is involved in upgrading a stock Mark 1 rear end (2.88 ratio) to
>positraction/limited slip?  I don't want to change the gear ratio.
>Are
>the parts available new or do you have to scrounge up used parts from
>vehicles that had Dana 44 rear ends with positraction?  Can anyone
>recommend a shop in the Bay Area (Northern CA) area that you would
>trust
>to do the work?

Dave,
Rear End Specialties in San Jose did mine.  Used the stock 2.88 gears,
had all parts in stock for the posi, no problems.  I had Paul Reisentz
pull the axles out first and he put them back in and adjust the end
play.  Only problem on the project was that the outter wheel bearings
were NOT available anywhere (about a year and a half ago).  Also,
when you re-fill it, Posi oil with GL-5(as I recall) is NOT enough by
itself.. you need to add Ford (real smelly) additive too!

Gary Winblad
San Jose