Re: Octane Synergy...BE CAREFULL

To: Rich Atherton <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Subject: Re: Octane Synergy...BE CAREFULL
From: Doug Mallory <rdmallory@earthling.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 08:00:44 -0400
130LL was about 104 Motor octane which I have not seen in years
( It was red if I remember right).
Av-Gas is not rated the same as motor fuel. And it does not have the lighter
hydrocarbons in it. Pump gas is rated by Motor octane plus research octane
divided by two. Av-Gas is blended for higher altitudes and was not rated using
the
M/R 2 scale. Anything in pump gas with a octane over 100 is theoretical kind of
like
grade 9 bolt. Pump gas is rated with a blend of two hydrocarbons notane (0) and
isooctane (100). Adding Toluene is a easy way to increase octane in pump gas but
you can not be consistent because the blend of pump gas changes with locations
and
seasons. If you need over 92 octane (over 10.5 compression) I suggest you by
racing
fuel. There have been a lot of engines lost due to some one running Av-Gas or
home
mixing special fuels.

Doug Mallory
Member : SAE

P.S.
Don,
I got to fly a Pits SU-2 last month. Talk about a Tiger with wings.......

Doug