Re: Unleaded Fuel

To: "Walter A. Menke" <wallym@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: Unleaded Fuel
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 19:08:05 -0400
At 08:54 PM 8/2/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Has anyone built-up there engines to handle unleaded fuel?
>
>I'm tempted to do this as it looks inevitable that leaded fuel will be
>phased out eventually. The other factor is that leaded fuel is priced
>higher downunder by about 7/c gallon. ANy experience out there?
>

>Cheers
>Wally Menke

        I haven't seen leaded fuel in several years.  Are you in Mexico?
About all you need to do is have hardened valve seats installed in the
heads to run on un-leaded.  Alternative is to get some of the late model
heads ( with hardened seats) or go to new aftermarket heads.
Unfortunally on my 351C with 4 barrel heads the aftermarket heads are $$$.
Already had one valve seat go bad.  I swapped for another set of heads
but didn't yet convert to hardened seats.  Years ago the valve seat insert
was claimed to not cool the exhaust valve as well as the non-insert heads.
Other than induction hardened seats, there is not much choice today.
Some fuel additivies work, but cost a lot if you burn a lot of gas per year.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others