Re: New Tiger, the journey begins

To: Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com
Subject: Re: New Tiger, the journey begins
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 11:22:28
Chris,

Sooooo Chris, first time you've driven a Tiger eh?? Now you know why there
are so many references in the literature to the "ill-handling Tiger". The
quick remedy is to just not drive between 65 and 80 mph. At around 100 mph
the gyroscopic effect starts to make the front wheels really stable and
from there out to about 150 mph (where the front end leaves the ground) the
car should feel just great.

All kidding aside, what you describe is NOT engineered into the Tiger and
is certainly not a symptom of the Ackerman geometry (which only comes into
play in sharp turns). Check tires and tire pressures to start with (too
low, especially in the rear?) What wheels and tires are on the car? Bias
ply tires on original wheels are not recommended. Next, check alignment,
loose tie rod ends, wheel bearings, A-arm bushings, ball joints, etc. Also,
check for modifications; e.g., spring rates, sway bars, re-located upper
A-arms, etc. Once you take care of any problems and return (if necessary)
the front end to the "stock" configuration the car should feel really good
and fun to drive at any speed.

Good luck,

Bob

At 06:29 PM 8/5/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Chris S. Mottram@ECCI
>08/05/98 06:29 PM
>
>Yesterday I purchased a Tiger Mk1a from a now former mailing lister. -
snip - >snip-  At somewhere between 65-80 mph (no speedo) the steering
feels like the >front of the car is floating.  The car does not drift or
anything but it made >for a white knuckle ride.  My Alpine does not do
this.  Is this some bad >ackerman Tiger thing or is it something else?  The
other scarey thing was that >the temperature climbed to about 235 in stop
and go traffic and dropped to >about 200 at speed.  What is "normal" for
the Tiger? (Ambient air was about 90).
>Fun Fact:  If you make a turn with a spare ford 260 on a pallet in the back
>of a Mitsubishi pickup truck and forget to tie it down, the engine will
>rollover, slam into the side of the bed, crush the bed rail, and fishtail
>the truck!
>
>Chris
>B32001587LXRFE

Bob Palmer