Slow Tiger

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Slow Tiger
From: Colin Mills <Colin.Mills@pop70-2.bluewin.ch>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 17:10:06 +0200
Given that the tach may be faulty, I have the following question (and
please forgive the metric measurements!):
Current set up is as follows:
I am running Goodyear Eagles NCT70 (185/70R13s), with a rolling
circumference of 179cm.  This is about 2½% less than the stock Dunlop
5.90x13 RS.5s (183.54cm).
I am assuming (I don't know for sure) that I have the stock 2.88:1 rear
axle.
The Workshop Manual tells me that, at 1,000 rpm in top, I should be
doing 38.5 kph.  However, the measured road speed of the Tiger (using a
reliable modern car, fixed distances and several attempts) at an
indicated 1,000 rpm is 30.7 kph. - 20% slower!
Anybody any ideas please?
Colin Mills
B9473407