Re: Front end alignment

To: Alicia <larisab@ix21.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Front end alignment
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 11:33:36 -0700
Alecia

First off, forget about what the book says about the alignment specs. For
example, they say that caster is NOT adjustable. Second, what is best for a
particular car depends on how you drive it, tires and wheels, road
conditions, etc.

Now, my advice is to adjust for the maximum caster you can get without too
much camber, too much being a very subjective number. If you want to
autocross, and cornering is paramount, then maybe too much is more than 2
degrees negative (some guys run even more!). A better compromise would
probably be in the range of 3/4 - 1.5 degrees negative. As for toe-in, I
like just a smidgen (1/16 - 1/8) toed in. There are a number of Tiger
people who insist on have their wheels toed out, but I don't buy it. The
way the car feels does depend a lot on slight changes in toe setting,
however, so you can play with this adjustment after getting the
caster/camber set. By the way, toe is the only adjustment that does NOT
affect pulling to the left or right. If your car pulls to one side or the
other, the most likely cause is too little caster on the side it is pulling
toward. It will also pull to the side with less camber, but this is a less
sensitive adjustment. You can do a pretty good job of alignment if you have
a level floor and a few carpenter's tools. I use a set of trammel points on
a straight 8' piece of 3/4" conduit to do the toe adjustment. Just the
straight conduit can get you pretty close to straight ahead before you get
down to the fine adjustments. Oh yes, when doing the toe adjustment start
by setting the steering wheel pretty close to the middle of the range where
it should also be square too. The adjust the front wheels to point straight
ahead. This way, you will wind up with a proper adjustment of rack,
steering wheel, and front wheels.

Have fun,

Bob