Re: [Fwd: Poloar moment...]

To: JOE_BROWN@HP-USA-om24.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Poloar moment...]
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:31:19 +0100

JOE_BROWN@HP-USA-om24.om.hp.com wrote:

>      How about thinking about a figure skater that spins with her arms
>straight
>      out and then speeds up faster and faster as she pulls her arms in closer
>      her body.  Of course, this is discounting any effect caused by a knee
>that
>      has been bashed in with a bat.
>
>      Have Fun,
>      Joe Brown

One of the first experiments in physics.  I sat in a canvas sling seat suspended
from a rope.  Was spun around with my arms and legs out, then told to bring
them in
to my body.  Took a lot of strength, but boy did the rotation speed up.  This
is a
good demonstration of the "change" in polar moment of inertia, and can
demonstrate,
indirectly, the effects of a fixed design differences.  But, cars dont throw-up.
{9->

Don Cordier wrote:

Hi Steve,

> Good explanation.
>
> In airplanes, we like to say that the closer the mass to the center of
> rotation (i.e., a spin), the higher the rotation speed and the more
> difficult it is to stop the rotation. This also contributes to the
> "breakaway" action of cars (just one of the factors though...).
>
> I don't know if this contributes to the discussion or causes more
> confusion?
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Don Cordier (1968 Lotus Elan S4SE Coupe S/N 36/7947)
> Aviation Consultant
> Glendale, California, USA
> doncordier@earthlink.net

Yes, Don, it does contribute.  It shows the other side of the coin.  It may be
harder to turn, or reverse the turn, with a higher polar moment of inertia, but
you
also pointed out that once it "let's go" you are in deeper doo-doo to stop the
spin.

All of this is independent of "under-steer"/"over-steer" which simply compound
the
issue.

BTW: A slightly heavier front end (51%, I believe) adds to straight line
stability,
but hurts if your in a spin.

Lesson:  There is no free lunch.

> --