Re: 289's

To: Carmods@aol.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 289's
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 17:28:14 -0700
John et Listers,

I'm sure this posting will elicit some interesting responses. Do you like
stirring up trouble or was this just an accident? I say this because I
understand there are some strong opinions on this question. I must confess
to being somewhat under the influence of my good friend Dick Barker
regarding this controversy. It also, perhaps, relates to Gordon
Chittendon's book where he talks about how to recognize whether your Tiger
has a 260 or 289 in it. Now this seems like a simple enough question, but
things are often more complicated when you probe a little deeper. I think
probably the first point to question is: How does he know that he has a
289? Because it has the 289 badge? Probably not good enough for a skeptic.
Because it has three freeze plugs? Again, not good enough. Do the heads say
289 on the casting? Still not good enough. What does the VIN plate say the
engine ID # is? Does it jibe with the engine itself? Does this number
indicate it to be a 260 or 289?  Ultimately, we can simply measure the
displacement. If we can really document a case of a Mk1A with a 289, it
will be pretty significant to at least a few of the history buffs. I think
the recognized "experts" will tell you that either the engine is actually a
260 and someone switched the badge, or the engine got swapped at some point
and somehow the family forgot that event.

Can't wait to hear other's comments to John's question.

Bob