Bobbycue and stuff

To: tigert@ktc.com, alpines@Autox.Team.Net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bobbycue and stuff
From: CobMeister@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 12:30:12 EDT
On Sat, Aug 22, 1998  Tim Morin wrote:

< Hey! colin!
you don't have the slightest idea that your giving the list, that all Texans
and Texas is a slow backward state.  I resent it!!    I live in
Fredericksburg, Texas!  76 miles (west) of Round Rock,  and I'm a native, and
I've  never seen an auto parts store as part of  HEB!!  There are lots of
Texans on this list, so be careful of what you say about our state!  We take
offence to be-littling our state!

tigert@ktc.com
Tim Morin
P.O. Box 626
Fredericksburg, Tx. 78624
1-830-997-2337 hm.
1-830-997-4319- wk. >

and in another email Tim Morin further wrote:
< bobbycue???  do you mean????      bar-be-que??? >

Hey Tim,

Frankly, I don't know where to start...

With the easy stuff I guess:  Yes, "bobbycue" is "barbecue." (Note, please, no
hyphens.) (Hyphens are the little straight lines you have between the
syllables, "bar-be-cue.") (Syllables are.... ah, never mind!)

"Bobbycue" is how the word sounds to an outlander's ear when it is pronounced
by a local.  That is because they deal with the syllables differently than we
do (maybe I really do need to go into what syllables are?).  Thus, when I say
"bobbycue" I am making an admittedly weak attempt at humor.  This is not
intended to give a real bellylaugh, just a, you know, sort of a smile...

Yes, Tim, I realize you aren't smiling.

I am fairly familiar with Fredericksburg, a little town in the Texas Hill
Country that bills itself as a "German town."  You have one helluva nice big
ol' tree there, out behind a nursery.  Also you have a German bakery, of
sorts.  Also, you have a German restaurant, of sorts.   I don't quite know how
to break it to you, Tim, but that bakery and that restaurant don't really have
a whole lot in common with bakeries and restaurants in Germany.  They are a
whole lot more Texan than they are German.

And that ain't all bad.  I quite like some parts of Texas.  I like bobbycue.
I like Austin.  I like San Antonio for very short visits.  I like the Hill
Country and bluebonnets.  I like by far the majority of the people I meet
here.  But I gotta tell you, Tim, that there ain't no asshole like a Texas
asshole.

I don't think that I said in my previous post that the Auto Zone parts house
was IN an H.E.B.  However, since I used terms like "...clinging to the H.E.B"
and "...Auto Zone by an H.E.B." I can see how you would get confused.  When I
say the Auto Zone is "clinging" I am, for effect, giving a human
characteristic to a building.  Buildings don't really cling.  And in most of
the world "by" means "beside" not "inside."  Sorry for the confusion.

I gotta confess that some parts of your post leave ME a bit confused.  I think
I deciphered your use of "your"  to actually be intended as the contraction of
"you are" which is, in most of the world, written as "you're."  So, when you
write < you don't have the slightest idea that your giving the list, that all
Texans and Texas is a slow backward state > I think you probably mean that I
know not what I do?  I respectfully disagree.  I would certainly never give
the list the impression "that all Texans... is a slow and backward state."  I
will continue to rely on Texans for that.

I like Texas!  I like California!  I like Louisiana and Florida, and Alabama
and Mississippi and Hawaii and...  But I also think there are plenty of
foibles that each of these places can afford to take a long look at.
("Foibles" are minor weaknesses of character.)

< There are lots of Texans on this list, so be careful of what you say about
our state!  We take offence to be-littling our state! >

Huh?  Why should I be careful?  Will all those Texans somehow blacklist me
from the best Bobbycue Pits?  Wait 'til they find out I think the Dallas
Cowboys are the most dog-assed team in football!  As for "be-littling," is
that anything like "belittling?"  "Belittle" means to disparage or deprecate.
I don't know what be-little means but I would guess at "to make physically
smaller?"  Are you afraid I will shrink Texas or just say it sucks?

I think that your choosing the British spelling < offence > over the standard
American spelling "offense" is diabolically clever!  Uh... You did know that's
what you did, didn't you?

Well, anyway, I never deliberately set out to offend you or any other Texicans
but I gotta confess that avoiding offending you is not very high on my list of
priorities either.  All that my posts during my "Codpiece of America Tour" are
supposed to do is amuse and illuminate.

Cheers!

--Colin Cobb, Still Outside Round Rock, Texas, Amurica, the World...  Goin'
Lookin' Fer Sum Bobbycue!