Re: Thermosthat

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Thermosthat
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 08:25:48 -0700
Mark, and list,

I used to have similar problems with the Mustang and those cool looking
chrome housings. Even those with "O-rings".  Problem was they are not
chromed cast iron, steel, or aluminum, but "pot-metal".  The ears would
bend, slightly when installed with moderate torque.  They "set" in that
position, andthe bolts no longer have tension holding it in place.
Continued tightening only bends them some more, until they are touching
the manifold. At this point, there is no longer any sealing pressure.

The recommendation of the original cast-iron design alleviates this.
Another choice is a Mustang NOS or re-pro housing.  They are made from
aluminum, which is quite rigid, and will not permanently bend, so they
maintain sealing pressure.  The re-pro's come in two kinds.  Both look
alike, but the more expensive one has the "Ford" logo and part number.
The plain one is just as good, and costs about $12-$15 at a Mustang
parts house.

Oh, yes - the thermostat.  I had recommended the Super Stant Stainless
Steel model, and 1 1/8 inch hole in the plate.  I am not sure if I gave
the heat range correctly.  I like 170F.  Hot enough to get your heater
useful in winter, but not so high as to give you any hot weather
problems.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >