Re: cams and wheels and 50 inches and pictures and names

To: Stephen Sorenson <math1@ix.netcom.com>, MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: cams and wheels and 50 inches and pictures and names
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 16:46:22 -0700
Mike, Steve, et Listers,

I am on the second Ford Motorsport 313 cam in my engine which is a solid
lifter cam that is slightly bigger than the 303, although the nominal
overlap is about the same. I really like this cam and, since I went to
10.9:1 compression ratio, it idles very smoothly, even down to 3-400 rpms.
Many years ago I had what I believe is the same cam as the 303, a dual
pattern, with the same exact specs, from Crane. Crane also has the dead
ringer for the 313 as well. I had real good luck with that cam as well, and
it got better gas mileage than the one I have now. Not quite the top end
though. It's my contention, based on the coincidence of specs, that the 303
and 313 Motorsport cams are manufactured by Crane.

Bob

At 03:36 PM 8/28/98 -0700, Stephen Sorenson wrote:
>I have the same cam in a 302 in my pickup truck.  When I bought the truck
it had a
>rough idle, as you described.  I put a new Holley on the engine, and now
it idles
>smoothly.
>
>Also, changing the ignition timing smoothed the idle, somewhat.
>
>Steve Sorenson

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com