Re: Alignment

To: Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Alignment
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 06:53:26 -0700
Chris,

This question was discussed recently on the list. My suggestion is to set
the maximum castor you can obtain (+4-5 degrees) with about minus 1/2
degree of camber for everyday street driving. More negative camber is
desirable for better cornering. However, camber tends to cause more
vibrations when going over bumps in the road and uneven tire wear. Toe-in
should be very slight if you have a good tight front end; maybe 1/16" or
1/8". The problem with most alignment shops is they don't do a very
accurate job on toe. "Tow in" is always to be avoided, but AAA is your best
bet when required.

Bob

At 07:36 AM 9/4/98 -0400, Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com wrote:

>Chris S. Mottram@ECCI
>09/04/98 07:36 AM
>
>I was thinking about going and getting my front end aligned during lunch
>today but I forgot my shop manual.  What are the castor, camber and tow in
>supposed to be for a MK1a?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris
>B382001587LXRFE

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com