RE: carb adj

To: "Alicia" <larisab@ix20.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: carb adj
From: "Allan Connell" <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:33:27 -0700
Dan,

On the subject of the rebuilt Ford 2 bbl.  NO, DO NOT wire it directly to 12
volts.  Rather, it should be wired to the "accessory" portion of the fuse
block (yeah, I know, just two fuses,) so that you have power to the choke
ONLY when the ignition switch is ON.....aka the key turned.  With regard to
the "runs and dies several times" before idling fast, it sounds as though
you need to adjust your idle "kick-down" cam on the electric choke.

Start with the engine cold and the key off.  Keep in mind that the choke
should be adjusted cold to be fully close (except for a slight gap) at the
air horn.  As I am sure you are aware, the choke is in the closed position
when the car is cold.  The electric choke operates on the principal that it
slowly opens as 12 volts are applied to the choke coil and (if I am not
mistaken,) the choke ring relaxes under voltage, allowing the choke to open
at about the same rate as the engine gets up to temp.  I am not looking at
the manual, so I may be wrong, but the idle "kick down" should be adjusted
so that the car idles at about 1300 rpm when the car is cold.  It should
also be adjusted so that it "kick's down" or releases the fast idle to
normal (800-850 RPM??) when you actuate the throttle aggressively a couple
of times.  Again, as I am sure you know, this aids you in reducing fast idle
to normal if you stop the car briefly and it is still warm enough to run
properly.  This, obviously should be adjusted when the engine is warm and
the choke fully open.

Adjusting the air screws: I could probably assist on the Holley or if I had
the manual in front of me, but there are a number of methods, including
using a vacuum gauge.....so I will leave that one to another lister who is
currently employing an original two barrel.  My car is unfortunately one of
those highly modified beasts that put's out over 300 HP, only gets 12 mpg,
but should be getting 30 mpg.....so what do I know? :)

If I have been too basic in the first two paragraphs Dan, please accept my
apologies.   Rather do that than miss anything on assumptions.

Regards,

Allan