Re: Coolants

To: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Coolants
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:27:32 -0700

Allan Connell wrote:

> Brian,
>
> OK, I will probably get shot down here......if not that I will at least show
> my age.
>
> As most car owners are basically lazy, they did not remove, flush and
> replace the "antifreeze" when the seasons changed....for instance: in
> summer, going back to straight water.  With this stroke of pure dumb luck,
> some customers noted that they thought their cars ran cooler with this new
> additive in non-winter months.
>
> With this, the wizards added some anti-corrosive ingredients to the product
> to further enhance the global acceptance of this marvelous product.
>
> Bottom line, good old water (plain, by itself,) probably makes for as good
> or better transfer of heat.

> Regards,
>
> Allan

Allan,

No Flames ^^^^^^, just let's shoot down another "Urban Lgend" (or is theis a
"Rural Legend"?).  The cooling capacity of plain water (heat transfer rates,
etc)., exceed any mixture with anti-freeze.  100% antifreeze is a disaster.
The problem is, if the temperature is below 32 F ( 0 C), the water freezes, and
can crack the block.  Adding "antifreeze", which was originally alcohol,
lowered the freezing point of the mixture so the motor wouldn't crack.  Say's
so on the container, too.

The same physics that controls the lowering of the freezing point, also
increases the boiling point.  Now, if you have a perfectly good cooling system
for your climate, you do not need "anti-freeze" when the temperature is above
water freezing.  If, however, you run near water boiling (212F, 100 C) you
court disaster.  In this case, the "anti-freeze" becomes an "anti-boil" and
raises the boiling point, allowing cooling to occur at high temperatures, even
though the mixture is less efficient at lower temperatures, it works well
enough.

Adding a pressure cap to the radiator system is another way of raising the
boiling point, so we do both.  Pressure caps don't help much on freeezing.

As long as you are adding this stuff, the manufacturers have but other
ingredients in the antifreeze, besides the glycol. These are ant-corrosion and
lubrication additives.  These just go along for the ride, and improve the
utility of the stuff, but not the boiling/freezing aspect.  Unfortunately, this
stuff wears out, but the glycol does not.  So you replace it every year to
assure the lubrication and anti-corrosion is still there, as well as too flush
the flaking particles and junk from the system.

So, that's the story.  There are, of course, different types of glycols,
lubricants, and anti-corrosives.  There are also "leak pluggers".  Stay away
from that stuff.

You can always add water soluble additives and lubricants during the year, if
you feel the need for extra protection, or the confidence of being socially
acceptable amongst your freinds.  Personally, I recommend bathing regularly.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >