Re: Why we own Tigers

To: "Allan Connell" <alcon@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Why we own Tigers
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 21:39:48 -0700
At 01:09 PM 9/30/98 -0700, you wrote:
>****WARNING***** THIS IS DRIVEL ***** LITTLE OR NO TECH CONTENT ****
>
>Though it is rare for me, I will attempt to keep this brief.
>
>While out running some errands in the Tiger on Saturday, I happened to pull
>up next to this old, white piece of crap looking VW Rabbit with a NUESPEED
>sticker on his back window.  I casually glanced left at the driver who was
>about 14 years old with a shaved head and wrap around aluminum sunglasses.
>I must be getting old as my first thought was a tour of duty with Uncle
>Sam's Misguided Children would certainly straighten this fellow out.  Making
>eye contact, I smiled casually.
>Guess that's one of the reasons we own Tigers.
>
>Allan
>B9472373

Once upon a time, many years ago, a few members of STOA ventured south to
the land of LA to visit with other interested Tiger owners from that area.
The purpose of the meeting was the common interest in the Tiger and what we
could do to work together in the furtherance this goal.  Our host was one
Ian Garrad, commonly known as the Father of the Tiger.  It actually matters
little what was discussed or proposed as history is the proof of what was
not accomplished.

At the conclusion of our meeting, Ian and Laura Garrad decided to go to
dinner with the remaining participants.  Ian was to ride with Terry Taylor
in Terry's Midnight Blue Modified, Webber carbureted Tiger (yes, "Mr Stock"
still owns this very fast, very modified, not been on the road in 15 years,
Tiger).  The distance to the restaurant was short but included a stretch on
Hollywood Boulevard.  It was not long until a Ferrarri worked its way up
next to Terry's Tiger at a stop light.  When the light changed, the
Ferrarri was literativly left in the dust.  This was repeated at the next
light and the Ferrarri found an excuse to turn in another direction.
During this competition, Ian was heard to remark "That's Tigering, boy
that's Tigering".

This is not intended to reduce your competive enthusiasm Allen, but there
are more meaningful and challenging competitors out there, along with a
reminder that  small incidents can burn lasting impressions that endure for
a long time.  I know it's one of the reasons that Terry and I still own
Tigers.

Tom