Re: Rear Bumper Room Measurment

To: "Dr. Tym McDowell" <tym@exit3.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Bumper Room Measurment
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 20:47:05 -0400
At 07:33 AM 10/3/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Tigers,
>How much room should there be between the rear bumper and body?
>I've reinstalled mine after fresh paint and there is very little room.
>It doesn't look right to me.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Tym McDowell

Tym,
      On my Tiger II the closest approach of the bumper to the
body is 1/2" (horizontal distance) from the top edge of the bumper
to the body seam directly below the tail lights.  The top edge of the
bumper is 5/8" up from the rear "shelf" ( or what ever it is called).
         My Tiger has a 5/8" long steel bushing and a flat washer
between the mounting bracket of the bumper and the end of the
rear frame.
        With my trailer hitch installed, the 1/2" closest
approach becomes 7/8". To install the trailer hitch, I had to
bend the licence plate light bracket up a bit, as there is a
3/8"x2" steel bar going from side to side that interfered with
the rubber part of the light holders.  I have another set of
brackets welded to the big bar and there are two more mounting
bolts attached next to the flange under the cross over fuel pipe
area.  Two 6" long bars with a nut welded to each is inside
under the fuel pipe.
        No problem pulling a 16 ft sky boat; but with no
power brakes it is very hard to stop.  Tigers need a lot
more brake capability to do safe towing.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others