RE: IRS for Sunbeams...

To: "Barsness, Jeff" <barsnej@WSDOT.WA.GOV>,
Subject: RE: IRS for Sunbeams...
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:07:27 -0700
The good part about the Nissan 2x0Z rear ends is that there are 3 different
flavors, the R160, R180, and R200. The R200 was used in Paul Newman's Turbo 300Z
Trans Am car, among other things, so it should be strong enough for most of us.
Any driveshaft shop should be able to trim the halfshafts to the length you
require. The not-so-good part is that you'll be building your own uprights (hub
carriers) because the Z cars used a 'Chapman strut' rear end, which is a variant
of the MacPherson strut where you can't turn it. Still, it's probably your best
bet for getting a readily available and bulletproof rear end. Oh yeah, before
you start, if you're planning to put a limited slip diff in, call Nissan
Competition first. Then when you recover from the sticker shock, think about it
again.

How much do the Tiger leaf springs weigh? The reason I ask is that you can
probably get a significant reduction in unsprung weight just by going to a
three-link (with lateral location) rear end, and coil-overs.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705