Re: Weight, or lack thereof

To: "Warwick Jones" <tigers@warwick.powernet.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Weight, or lack thereof
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 07:01:17 -0800
Warwick,

I realize I badly embarrassed myself with the flagrant grammatical errors
contained in the posting you cite, and which is so far below of the
generally high standard of grammar that prevails on the Tiger List. Also, I
intended no insult to the ethnic classes cited, but instead was only, by
means of hyperbole, questioning the assertions of the authors (who I assume
are British subjects, however). Perhaps, from your vantage point, you could
offer some better insights as to the proper conclusions one can derive from
the Lancet research paper. For example, is there any significance one can
ascribe to the omission of any reference to the Irish in this article?
Perhaps no one cares what the suicide rate among the Irish is; or could it
be that it is already common knowledge that the preferred method of suicide
among the Irish is by alcohol consumption? Any comments you might have
would be most appreciated.

Mystified in San Diego,

Bob

At 08:20 AM 11/9/98 +0000, Warwick Jones wrote:

>Bob Palmer wrote:
>"And are the English and Welsh to dumb to figure out an alternative method
>of
>suicide?"
>
>Careful Bob, this could lead to another fracas similar 'Cobb Vs Texas!'
>
>But if you are going to mock, please ensure the spelling is correct so you
>don't look TOO dumb yourself!
>
>Warwick
>England

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com