RTV- ROOTES FACTORY USES AND METHODOLOGY

To: "tigers" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RTV- ROOTES FACTORY USES AND METHODOLOGY
From: "Tim Jordan" <tjordan@wagnerprocess.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:45:15 -0800
Tigers,

Recent posts to the list regarding the uses of RTV have revealed many new
and exciting applications for our Tigers.  However, before I continue with
the "stock" restoration of B9470080, I must come to grips with the ROOTES
factory methodology regarding RTV.  Any TAC inspectors care to chime in on
factory uses of RTV (Silicone in 1964).  I can't seem to understand why
after complete disassembly of my Tiger, I did'nt find any RTV.  Now we know
they used some type/form of seam filler in certain places.  Where's the
RTV!

My Tiger is an unrestored stock original car so why can't I locate the RTV.
 For that matter, where is the Duct Tape, Band-Aids, Airplane Cement,
Toothpicks, Gum and Wire Twists that I'm sure were original factory
materials?

Some of the obvious uses for RTV(top50).

1.  Heavy dollop on back of headlight hood bezel and rubber gasket.
Disregard if you have screw in bezel.  OK! Be safe and use it on      the
screws so they won't backout.

2.   All those damn holes in the firewall  (Hi Norm)

3.   Exhaust header bolts.

4.   Lug nuts and LAT spinners

5.   Valve cover bolts

Please add your favorites and we can all play "Make it better with RTV"

Tim

PS.  Do you think it possible that Ian Garrad and John Panks used RTV to
stick on the side moldings and exhaust tips for the New York Auto Show
Tiger?   This could be significant for the restoration of that special
factory car.