color sanding

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, norcal-saac@ises-llc.com
Subject: color sanding
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 20:21:38 EST
(caution: not Tiger or Shelby related. Thank goodness it does have something
to do with autos.)
Getting ready to sell my Formula Vee vintage racer (anyone want a good one, E-
mail me privately), I saw that our cat had done a number on the paint on one
side of the car (also available: one slightly used cat...Oh, never mind,
she'll make a good floor mat).
Thinking I had a little repaint/blend ahead of me, I took some 800 grit wet to
the paint. The scratches are just superficial, come right out.
Now to my point: What is the best process for color sanding and final buffing?
I am thinking I need to go to at least 1200-1500 wet and then take a buffing
wheel to what's left. Does this sound about right?
Also, what are good brands/types of compounds, waxes etc. to get the paint to
really "pop" when I am all done?
I appreciate all advice you all would be willing to share.
Mike Wood
'67 Tiger 302 GT40
'67 Crusader FV vintage racer
'77 Yamaha RD400 cafe racer
Looking for '64-65 Falcon for vintage race/open track project