Re: LAT9

To: louabbot@mail.ameritel.net, Tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: LAT9
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 19:30:05 EST
In a message dated 12/1/98 3:28:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
louabbot@mail.ameritel.net writes:

> If this is what I am thinking about, CAT had a few sets at the Solomon's
>  event this year. I bought a set for $20. Check them out, otherwise let me
>  know and I will dig further. (they really look good too)
>  Lou Abbott
>  too many projects, not enough time.

Lou,

I was not aware CAT had such a part, and even if they did, a set of 4 would
have to sell for far more than $20!  We're talking about a special aluminum
casting to replace the tip of the center hub on the LAT 9s, which many early
owners sliced off when they found that tires could not be mounted on the old
style tire machines. Manufacturing a replacement would involve a casting which
included a relief of the stylized tiger "head" logo, followed by machining,
polishing, etc.  All this would be labor intensive and therefore, expensive.
The consumer would still have to weld the replacement "cap" onto his cut
wheel, followed by more machining and polishing. Despite all this effort and
expense, I am certain that I have seen several sets of butchered LAT 9s which
have been repaired this way, probably because they are fairly rare and are
considered desirable.  Unfortunately, I cannot recall the source of the
replacement caps.

Perhaps the items you purchased at the Solomons event were the paper stick-ons
for the center of the LAT 70 wheels?

Dick Barker