no sunbeam content

To: alpines@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: no sunbeam content
From: Jeff Hacker <alpine@kiva.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:20:59 +0000
sorry to bother you all, but I need some advise on a vechicle of mine.
my wife and I have a '92 Subaru Legacy 4WD w/ 140,000 miles. It
is our work/errand car ; the vechicle is on the road everyday. Because
of my wife's employment commute , we have averaged 35,000 miles a year
the past 3 years.  At 100k miles , the crank pulley bolt  broke.
After the dealer got done w/ drilling out the old bolt and replacing a
few other parts the bill was $1050 . Now Thanksgiving Day, at 140K,
the bolt falls out this time; bill $800. (pulley , belts, spocket,
timing
belt all need replaced) . MY QUESTION - Has anyone ever heard of this
happening - to any make of car? The dealer said " never saw anything
like that happen before" - the first time. Now this time - " we don't
know why this is happening ,but it's NOT OUR FAULT".
Their conclusion - I need a new motor "at only $4000" , they say
the motor is worn out - the motor runs strong , doesn't use oil,
and the 4 WD is just great in snow and rain. The dealer will not
give any warrenty that the car will even make it out their lot w/out
the same problem occuring.
What should I do ?  Hope it makes it another 40K miles, replace the
motor w/ a used motor, or trade the car in at a different Subaru
dealership?
p.s 73 degrees Sunday - 34 today here in central Indiana
   looks like winter caught up to us ...

thanks,
jeff
'67 SV