Re: Speakers

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Speakers
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 09:44:26 -0800
This is a little long, and should be skipped by those NOT interested in a
radio in their Tigers or Alpines.

"James E. Pickard" wrote:

> ...... Now, how about recommendations for workable speaker
> locations?  I'm not looking for concert hall quality here.  Just a
> workable radio I can hear above the roar of the engine and rush of the
> wind.  (More like the idle of the engine while stuck in traffic).
> Suggestions?
>
> Jim Pickard
> B9473298

Jim,
I assume you got a new stereo unit and want 2 speakers.  I have just
finished such an installation, and would be happy to tell you my solutions.

I purchased a pair of dual speaker (not dual cone) Sparkomatic SK42
speakers.  They come in a closed box, about 41/2 in. square, with a "U"
shaped support and a "foot" that connects the support to the car.
Everything is adjustable, as far as rotation, angle, etc., so it is very
flexible.  These speakers sound awfully good for the price (about
$42/pair), and were meant for the small pick-'em-ups.

I mounted the small foot on the rear vertical surface of the structural
"box" section behind the dash at the left and right sides (one is actually
behind the glove box).  You may need a right angle drill to start this
process, and some self tapping sheet metal screws are recommended.  I
located the exact position by assembling the speakers and supports and
seeing where they would fit.  They can not bee seen unless you stick your
head under the dash, and they sound fine.  After these two pads are
mounted, everything else just attaches to them with the screws and
adjustment knobs in the kit.

I am using a Pioneer CD radio inside a small black plastic universal radio
box mounted on the front lip of the center dash bottom.  There are three
screw holes along the front, and more around the horizontal lip.  It
accommodates radios that have 'knobs', as well as the new ones that plug
into a rectangular hole and were available for about $8 at Pep Boys.  A
portion of the center back wall must be removed to clear the wiper motor,
and a bracket connected across the center for the rear support.  This is
easily made from aluminum or steel, and can be bent up to meet the unused
threaded holes in the dash support struts and the side located box holes..
Easy in and out.  With the new radio mounts, and the correct slack in the
wires, you can even pull the radio in/out without removing the box.

I used a CD because those old 60's AM radios can't get the '60's stations.
But the CD's can.  Love tooling down the road with the Beach Boys singing
"Little Deuce Coupe".  It fits the Tiger so well --- " You don't know what
I got"

Hope this helps,

Steve
--