Re: Tires

To: SHEAHAN@prodigy.com (MR PAUL R SHEAHAN), tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tires
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:50:08 -0800
Paul, et Listers,

I just took a look at these tires on their Web site and they seem to be a
good choice given the limited selection available for 13" diameter rims;
i.e., almost nil. I'm confused by their statement about the UTQG of 160AA
(oem) and 260AA (others). The lower the mileage number the stickier the
tire. My Yokohamas (AVS Intemediate) also have a UTQG of 160AA. The last
set lasted about two years of occasionally hard use and a total of about
25-30k highway miles which is about as much wear as I'd want them to have.
And their price for the 205/50-15 size is $130/ea versus $49/ea for the
RE92's. I have driven the Bridgestone Expedias on my Tiger and I was very
impressed with their crisp response compared with the AVS's. I don't know
if this relates at all to the RE92's, but maybe it shows that at least
Bridgestone is capable of building good tires.

If you ever decide to get new rims, I recommend going to 15" diameter, both
for better handling and, perhaps most important, better selection of high
performance types. Better yet would be 16" diameter, but this starts to
look a little out of proportion on a Tiger (IMHO of course). Also, the 50
series on 15" diameter is about the same overall diameter as your 13" rims
and tires.

Let us know what you think to the new tires if you decide to get them. One
thing for sure, they will be a lot better in the rain than the 008's

Happy New Year,

Bob

At 09:07 PM 12/30/98 -0500, MR PAUL R SHEAHAN wrote:
>Hello All,
>     I am still searching for tires.  Tire Rack recommends
>Bridgestone Potenza RE92's.  They aren't A008R's but such is life.  I
>want to stay with my 185 70 13 size so this is what they recommend.
>     Has anyone had any experience with these tires or this brand.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Paul R. Sheahan

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com