What is This Stuff

To: <rising_tiger@hotmail.com>
Subject: What is This Stuff
From: "W John Gardiner" <johngard@vianet.on.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 14:01:07 -0500
Dear JR

I just finished removing the epoxy? from my dashboard. I had the same
experience as you did with the chemicals with absolutely no success at all.
I ended up removing it by hand sanding. I used a fairly coarse cloth backed
sand paper on a small section and at the first sign of wood (the sawdust
changes from white to brown) I used a finer grit paper. The plastic is quite
thick and takes a very long time to penetrate to the wood. The veneer is
also reasonable thick so some variation in depth of sanding is tolerable.
When I finished a section, I started on an adjacent section. It took me
about six or seven hours to strip the whole dash and the only place where I
went through to the plywood backing was at the bottom where it is covered by
the padded trim. Be extra careful around the cubby box opening and the top
of the dash. The cracks that were in the plastic coating were also in the
veneer but after a coat of stain, they are imperceptible. I now have 15
coats of spar varnish on the dash and it looks like new.

Goof luck

John in Ontario