spar varnish

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: spar varnish
From: Scott Donnelly <oharajem@free.midcoast.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 12:41:02 -0500
Actually, a true spar varnish is actually not the best
choice for your wood dash. While it does an outstanding job
of protecting from UV damage, it is quite soft and easily
marred, and as was mentioned, yellows with time. It is
formulated for wood pieces that have joints that may work
where the varnish surface would fail at the joint interface.
A good example is a laminated wood sailboat mast. The soft
nature of a spar vanish does makes it more easy to repair
blemishes without extensive refinishing, but at 30 feet
above the deck of a boat, the repair will be hardly
noticable anyway. A more appropriate finish for a dash would
be another marine varnish like Interlux Schooner, or Clipper
(brand name) varnish. They are much more durable, higher
gloss and would hold up just as well to the rather limited
UV exposure. My .02 cents!
Scott Donnelly