Radiator Ramblings

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Radiator Ramblings
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:36:28 EST
Theo

I think I've seen your Tiger.  I remember noting it was the last MK IA
built.  Its not often I see a MK IA with a serial number higher than my
B382002668.  I did happen to meet the owner of B382002669.  His
name was also Johnson and he was from Omstead, OH.  Since my
Tiger is red, that would explain the red overspray on his green car!

As to radiators, Barry Schoenberger's Indiana Core has cured every
heating problem he has encountered.  I had my radiator shop build
one.  It is thicker and has more fins per inch.  It still fits with about
1 in clearaance for my 6 blade fan.  While it does not normally
overheat, it will not take much more than 30 minutes sitting in a
traffic jam when its 95 degrees.  Several TE/AE members have also
added the push fan with excellent results.  Some report watching
the temperature guage go down, when the fan is turned on.

In 1966 when I was racing a Tiger in the east, I remember asking a
Ford engineer about the high temperatures.  He responded that as
long as the coolent did not boil and the oil held up, the hotter it got,
the better engine would run.  This is why I run Moboil 1.  Doane
Spencer said at the last SUNI, that the Tiger was the only car he
ever raced, where all the guages, water and oil termperatures were
pegged all the time.

Under normal driving my guage rarely moves out of the little red
marks on the center of the guage (185 deg).  I'm running a stock
185 termostat, Eldebrock F4-B, Holley 600, and LAT steel headers,
All this does not help the underhood heat any.   I also using an
original LAT hood which after 30 years of ultraviolet exposure is
beginning to show  its age.

For this summer, I plan to put the original cast iron headers back
on.  After many hours, the tube headers generate a lot of heat inside.
Driving across the Central US in the July heat should be a roaster.
At SUNI I, some drivers were saying the shifters got so hot you
could not touch them.

Maybe I'll drive at night.  But I don't trust my original Lucas headlights.
Replacements are hard to find.

Finally, read the CAT tech tips on cooling.  Check the timing.  If the timing
is too far advanced, the engine will overheat.  The engine needs the
themostat to slow flow of water allowing proper heat transfer.  Having no
themostat is bad news.  Put a 165 or 185 in.  Some people have cut the
middel of the thermostat out but leaving the rest.  Others have rebuilt the
water pump with an impeller that has few vanes.  The object is to slow the
water down and allow better heat transfer inside the engine.

For God's sake, don't fool with rebuilding the guage voltage regulator.  Buy
a new one.  They aren't that expensive.  While you are at it, borrow someone
else's guage and see what his reads.  Maybe its your guage.