Re: Frontal air pressures

To: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Subject: Re: Frontal air pressures
From: Jeff Howarth <jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:31:16 +0000
Listers,

in my experience ( limited though it is), if you pull the hood release
when you are driving the hood tends to lift, surely this would indicate
a lower pressure. It certainly helps to cool my car down when it gets
hot - no I don't do this at high speed and check your hinges before
trying this!

I can't figure out how it would be easy for hot air to exit forwards out
of a duct that has a 70 MPH wind blowing at it.
I thought the idea of the NASA/NACA ducts is to induce a partial vacuum
to extract the hot air. anyone good at aerodynamics ?

It sounds like a rear facing vent over the carbs would allow hot air to
vent into this area and also has the benefit of clearing the snow off
the windshield in winter 8-)

If you look at some of the modern high performance cars, they have rear
facing louvres or vents on the hood to aid extraction of the hot air
normally at the sides where the NACA ducts are on a LAT hood.

 Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com> writes

>As evidenced by many years of automobile design, I believe that the area in
>front of the windshield is always shown to be a higher relative pressure
>area due to the dam effect of the windshield.  That's why the
>ventilation/AC  inlets are typically placed in that area.  It's also long
>been observed that hot engine compartment air typically exits the front
>facing scoop of an LAT hood, or any other similar un-baffled design.
>
>Many years ago in the LA area, someone developed a very nice looking
>fibreglass hood with a raised portion in the center, pointed at front and
>opening just in front of the windshield.  I tried to get one but had no
>luck.  Looked very classy even if it wasn't an LAT option.
>
>Tom

awaiting the flames - at least they're cooler than the engine
compartment  8-)
--
Jeff Howarth