RE: Radiator

To: "Allan Connell, Jr." <alcon@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Radiator
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:47:06 -0800
At 12:37 PM 1/20/99 -0800, Allan Connell, Jr. wrote:
>Doug,
>
>Welcome to the list and Tiger ownership!
>
>If you are "radiator-less" you will have to get one before we start talking
>about cores and cooling.  On a minimum, you will need at least the side
>tanks on each side of the radiator and the header tank that mounts on the
>left side fender inside the engine compartment.
>
>Once you get your hands on these items, e-mail me back privately and I will
>send you a copy of what worked for me and a number of others on the list
>with regard to keeping a Tiger relatively cool.
>
>The other route to go is to have a completely new aluminum radiator built
>for your car.  There is a fellow in Arizona that makes these for the Tiger,
>so pay attention to any e-mails on this subject you get from Cullen Bennett.
>A number of others on this list, including the "notorious" Dr. Palmer have
>also chosen this route with great success.
>
>Hope this is of assistance,
>
>Regards,
>
>Allan
>B9472373

Doug, Allan, et Listers,

I will reprise some of my comments on the aluminum versus copper radiator.
The only advantage of aluminum I'm aware of is weight. This plus maybe a
small difference in raw materials cost is, I believe, why all new cars come
with aluminum radiators. Copper radiators have the distinct advantage of
being easier to repair, and if you have end tanks in good condition, I see
no good reason to buy a whole new aluminum radiator from Ron Davis (or
Griffin) for in the neighborhood of $450. The Ron Davis one I have is too
thick to install without some modifications (e.g., move the rack back and
modify the shroud) and it still leaves too little clearance for many of the
mechanical fans you might like to use.

As for being "notorious", this description, while well deserved, only
extends to a very limited audience. Moreover, among my New Year's
resolutions, I have resolved to take my medication regularly which makes me
much less prone to responding in an impolite way to e-mail content that is
either stupid (er, excuse me, erroneous) or abusive. As examples of my good
behavior, I've not responded to recent suggestions that reducing the water
flow through radiators is beneficial, nor have I responded in kind to
scurrilous remarks about my "dorky" chin spoiler. My motto is simply: "When
the green flag drops, the b.s. stops."

Good luck with your new Tiger Doug,

Enjoying a quiet, rainy day in San Diego,

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com