re: Rust and body caulk

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Rust and body caulk
From: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 09:37:09 -0800
Chris,

I stripped and repainted the engine compartment in my car about three years
ago. I had a similar problem with the old caulking material coming loose
and had to remove and replace it. The local auto paint supply store
recommended a 3M product; Heavy Drip-Chek Sealer, Part Number 08531. This
stuff has been in my engine compartment for three years and I havn't had
any problems with it coming apart or reacting negatively to heat, gasoline,
brake fluid, etc. I didn't have any paint adherence problems with the epoxy
primer or the urethane topcoat either.

BTW while I was doing this above mentioned project I was reminded just how
darn fun those cup brushes and wire wheels can be when they start shedding
at 5000 RPM. Safety glasses and proper clothing is a must.

Have Fun

Mike Sutter