Re: Tales from the Gas Tank

To: <Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Tales from the Gas Tank
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:49:16 -0800
>The moral of the story - Want to remove the paint from inside the gas tanks
>but nothing seems to work?  Try MEK mixed in with the rocks.  (Shaken not
>stirred)
>

>Chris

    Oooooooo!!!  Not a good idea !!  MEK is as I remember from the HasMat
book, quite flamable with a low flash point.  you would NOT want to mix the
solvent with Rock in a steel talk....Sparks from te rocks could ignite the
solvent, there by NOT achieving the desired results....BOOM !!

Here's an idea that I just had for the tanks if they are pretty nasty and
need to completely cleaned.  It's possible to take a die grider with a
cuttng disk and cut through the tanks (after being thuroughly washed and
dried), to separate one side from another.  I would not do it along the
original welds, just to the side of them so that you could open the tanks.
You could now have then bead blasted, weld up and smallpitting, replace any
bad areas, and make it super clean.  then have it rewelded by a compitant
shop, then presure tested, and then sealed., and
painted..............Shazam!   brand new tanks...

Just an Idea...

Rich