An old paint story

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: An old paint story
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:44:26 -0800
Listers,

Craig Wright sent me this note describing his experiences
with various automotive finishes.  They are worth reading.

I can add just one more, from my own experience.

Two stage epoxy.

This material is usually used with fiber substrates for
structural materials.  We all have used the two-part polymer
to bond stuff together, successfully if they were clean.  It
is very strong, hardens like a rock, and is practically
impervious to anything.  One natural state is clear.

In 1956 I was using a colored version of this material in a
rocket application.  It was so tough you could paint it on
aluminum foil and crumple it after cure, and the finish
wouldn't crack.

A friend was painting his 1953 MG-TD and I talked him into
using it.  I acquired it from our industrial supplier at a
reasonable cost, and got a painter to try it out.  We used a
bright red with metallic gold particles, rather than
aluminum.  Not flakes, you understand, but the size one uses
for a metallic finish.  It was a bright red knock-out, and I
think the fender would dent without cracking the paint.
Lasted a long time.  The painter wouldn't talk to us for 2
years because all his guns and nozzles were plugged with
cured epoxy. {9->

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >