RE: Accelerometer

To: "'Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com'" <Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com>,
Subject: RE: Accelerometer
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:41:51 -0700
Chris,

If it did, it would not be any more accurate than what you're getting from your
current speedometers. Low-grade accelerometers (which includes the type used in
the various G-meters and 1/4 mile testers) are typically not more than about
0.1% accurate, and they usually also have a large offset error (so they indicate
some acceleration when there is none). Over time, these errors (and others)
compound to make any speed derived from the accelerometers alone totally
meaningless.

Theo