Re: 302 swap issues

To: Stephen.Waybright@COMPAQ.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 302 swap issues
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:25:12 EST

Hi Steve
on 2/19/99 you wrote:

<<<
Just crossed my mind that the guys in the engine shop may not be aware of
any restrictions imposed by the Tiger (or that I am for that matter) in what
they're doing with the 302. Can anyone comment on anything I should clarify
for them? They know we're going with Performer RPM intake and BG Sportsclaw
carb (same physical size as holley double pumper?) I'll also get them the
merged collector headers as soon as I can get the order into CAT.

I'm guessing I need to let them know the specifics on:
*       Flywheel size
*       Isn't front cover & water pump Tiger specific?
*       Any chance that exhaust ports on the various alum heads around are
not all the same as stock? We have Aluminum Dart JR. heads (similar to
Canfield)

I haven't heard of anyone replacing the belt driven fan with an electric
fan. You know of a reason why or of anyone who's taken this route? I do see
a lot of supplemental pusher fans in front of the radiator.

Your input is appreciated.

Stephen Waybright>>>
Well steve you are absolutely right.
 the other things to be aware of are:
1) -assuming you have a Mk 1 or 1a with a 260 and NOT  a 289 in a Mk11
  a 260 has 5 bolts attaching the rear of the engine to the clutch cover and a
302 uses 6 bolts to do the same thing.the "ears" on the smaller toploader
front will not work directly on the 6 bolt piece without altering  either the
trans or clutch cover.
Yuo will also need to make your own clutch slave bracket or go with an
aftermarket hydralic setup.
2) a really late model 302 harmonic balancer has a 4 hole set up for attaching
the front pulley,A Tiger uses 3.
I will search my saved files for further info on this-I saved a bunch of mail
because I will be looking at a 302 soon myself.Expect a really long e-mail
with work arounds later-as soon as I find the right Zip disk
Tony