Water Pump/Fan Spacing

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Water Pump/Fan Spacing
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:56:49 -0500
Folks,
         There has been several messages about the
spacing for the water pump flange lately.

        I had an unusual problem for a Tiger.
My fan was too far back from the radiator.
The blades were outside the fan schroud?.
I had moved my 351C back 1 1/4".  I also have a
wider and thicker radiator than normal.  I modified
the schroud? to give 360 degree coverage and
added a 7/8" thick spacer between the fan pully and the
fan.  I am still over an inch away from the radiator
with the fan blade.  The fan blade now has it's
rear edge extending out about 1/4" behind the
schroud? ( Don't know how to spell that word).
Hopefully this is close to ideal, as I understand
that most auto fans actually blow air out
laterally as well as back.  Seems that by now
some auto makers would have designed a proper
aero-dymamic fan.  It is not that hard, even the
Wright brothers were able to do it.

        This has been a 3 hour mail reading, as
I was unable to get to the computer for the last few days.
Over 200 messages,  several received while trying to read
the others.  Keep up the good work Tiger folks.  I enjoy the
mail list.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others