Re: Long and Pointy!

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Long and Pointy!
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 20:08:40 -0500
At 11:31 PM 2/19/99 -0800, you wrote:
>'Beamer's,
>
>This is somewhat long,...
>Recurve your distributor to start ramping up just after
>idle, and be full-in mechanically at about 1800 to 2300
>rpm.  Don't exceed top advance, mechanical plus static
>(idle). For Fords, about 34 degrees (arguable).  The vacuum
>advancers can go way beyond that, because they only do it on
>light loads.  ....
>Steve Laifman
Steve,
        I had a problem that I almost didn't solve.
Spent over $1000 trying to fix the problem.  At
light load the Tiger would surge and/or backfire.
Under hard acceleration, everything was A-OK until
I let off.  Turns out the vacuum advance stop,
(a little piece of pot metal) in the vacuum advance
had broken off and the advance was going extreame
under light load.  A 6/32 screw solved the problem.
I have had many vacuum advances rupture the diagram
and cause poor performance, but this was the first
time one worked too well.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others