Re: Late SV's, Tigers and ride height

To: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>, alpines@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Late SV's, Tigers and ride height
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 22:09:09 -0800
At 11:05 AM 2/25/99 -0800, Jay Laifman wrote:

snip, snip, snip

>If this turns out to be true, I may have for sale a pair of factory
>original Tiger springs that have seen very little stress relative to 30
>years on a Tiger.
>
>Jay

Jay,

Although I consider it highly doubtful that the Tiger's front springs were
also used on the later Alpines (SV), I also consider it a moot point, since
even the stock Tiger springs are rather soft and have been discarded by
many owners for that reason. When I tossed my stock springs, back in '77, I
replaced them with the 330 #/in CAT springs, which were significantly
stiffer than the ones they replaced. More recently, I have gone to 450 #/in
springs from Coil Spring Speciaties, which is probably near the limit of
acceptable street ride for most tastes, but suits me perfectly. I went to
CCS because they had done springs for so many STOA members. I simply had to
tell them the spring rate and ride height I wanted and a couple of weeks
later I had my springs. (Unlike the CAT springs, they were even wound the
right direction!) Coil Spring Specialties has long since relocated
somewhere in the Midwest, but I believe that Dale has had them supply his
springs and was very happy with the quality. I am not sure what selection
Dale currently has or how to contact CCS directly, but I believe most Tiger
owners would be happier with at least somewhat stiffer springs than came
stock on the Tiger.

My $0.02 worth,

Bob

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com