Re: Polishing Process (long)

To: "Craig Wright" <craig@p-d-g.com>, "Kevin Meek" <kevnmeek@netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Polishing Process (long)
From: "Louie & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:50:42 -0700
Another tip ive learned is to put a few drops of dishwashing soap into a 5
gal bucket and use a 32 oz plastic soda cup to pour it over the surface as
you sand. Your paper will never clog and you will use less arm pressure and
have strength to do something else at the end of the day. (Allan, read it as
you may). This also allows you to use a finer grit sandpaper e.g.1500, 2000.
The finer grits are great because you have less chance of cutting through
the paint. I would only go down to 1000 for a run. If you do get a run, I
use a technique that I will call for lack of a better word "painting" it
out. As I paint the car, I will go back to that run and put an extra spray
over that area in between total coats. The car may have 3-5 coats, but that
run will have 6-8 coats. This tends to "dilute" the run and allow it to
flatten out a little more. The side benfit is tha when you sand the car,
there is enough paint to keep you from sanding through. Just leave enough
time for the solvent to escape or you will have little bubbles and pinholes
in the topcoat.
If this is a first color sand, STICK TO THE FINE GRITS and CHECK YOUR
PROGRESS OFTEN. So it takes you 3 days instead of 3 hours. Since profit is
not your goal, it is easier for you in the long run. Follow Craigs advice.
It is sound!