Re: Rear end question

To: CALUMETAIR@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear end question
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 14:31:56 EST
In a message dated 2/26/99 12:48:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
CALUMETAIR@aol.com writes:

<< I have a stock Tiger rear end. I will have a carbureted 302 HO from a
Mustang
 keeping the engine bay warm until I get sentimental and put the 260 back in.I
 plan to street drive my car for fun only. Maybe some play racing on a track
or
 two.
 Will the stock unit suffice? Is there an "upgrade" differential that lends
 it'self to limited slip? Does the stock unit have limited slip?
 My reading research years ago mentioned a real serious wheel hop problem with
 stock Tigers. Any common cure for this ?
 I will have to replace tires and wheels too, so they are not a factor at this
 time. >>

Tom-
As you are now aware, the Dana 44 is a fine rear end, probably overkill for
the Tiger application (read: tons of unsprung weight). Installing a posi unit
is not a big deal, some like the Gleason/Torsen, others think they break too
easily. It shouldn't be hard to find a TracLoc for under $300. Think about
swapping gears, too. I run 3:31s and find them perfect, others go numerically
lower (3:07) for a little less revs on the freeways, while others, for
whatever reason, like the stock 2:88s with a 60mph first gear!
As far as wheel hop goes, get a set of bolt-on TMC-type bars and you should
have no problems. Larry Atkisson (spelling?) in the PacNorthwest is, I
believe, making up another run and is on this list. I would definitely run the
bolt-on, rather than weld-on variety. They work better and don't cause you to
weld into the forward spring perch area.
Wheels and tires are kind of tough. Either you stay with the "correct" look
(13" rims) and have a tough time finding tires, or you go up to a 15" rim and
have a much different look than would have been correct for the '60s. 14" rims
might be a perfect compromise, but tires are getting harder to find for that
size also.
Mike