RE: Front license plate

To: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>,
Subject: RE: Front license plate
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 20:04:04 -0800
Chris, et California Listers,

I believe the law regarding front license plates is a little different here
in California than it is in Virginia, Chris. Way back when, my original
yellow-on-black front license plate fell off. Sometime after that I got new
plates, being under the impression that this is what the law required. Then
I heard that this might not be the case, so I took the trouble to read the
state code on this point. At least at that time the code read something to
the effect that you were required to have "at least a rear license plate",
and so forth regarding visibility, etc. Perhaps the code has been
re-written, but I've been driving without a front license plate since about
'74 in California and, believe me, I've been stopped for more serious
infractions on several occasions since then, and not once has the officer
ever said a word about a front license plate. I sure wish I had known this
BEFORE I turned in my original license plate! BLAST!!!

Bob

At 04:16 PM 3/2/99 -0500, Chris Thompson wrote:
>speaking of front license plate holders, does anybody have one for sale?
> somebody turned me on to a feller who had some reproductions made, and i
>called him twice.  never got a return call, so i guess he's out.
>
>true story.  i got pulled over by a trooper solely for missing my front plate
>who gave me a warning.  he said i didn't want to get a "chicken" ticket on a
>car like that.  (i guess i should be getting speeding tickets).  in any event
>he said he would ticket me the next time he saw me without the front plate,
>and
>as i live in a small town, i expect that it will happen.  i won't drill a
hole
>in my car where it didn't already have one (?), so i really want an original
>plate holder.  any help will be appreciated!
>
>chris thompson
>B382000331

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com