Brake problem

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake problem
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 23:14:33 -0600
Dear fellow listers:

I've run across a rather strange and perplexing problem on my Tiger.  It is
pulling rather significantly to the right under braking.  The entire
braking system, and I do mean the ENTIRE system, has been gone
through...new master cylinder, rebuilt booster, rebuilt calipers with
stainless steel pistons, new wheel cylinders, new pads and shoes and turned
drums and rotors.  I left nothing to chance.  The only thing that was not
changed in the braking system were the flexible brake lines.  The reason I
didn't change them is simply because they are fairly new and are the
stainless steel braided lines.  I saw no reason to change them.

I have checked the calipers for leaks and found none.  The caliper pistons
are all moving easily and properly.  The rotors and pads show no unusual
wear patterns.  I am, however, getting a chirping noise from the pads and
the only way to get rid of it is to lightly touch the brake pedal.  This
evidently puts enough pressure on the pads to stop the chirping.

I just spent the evening once again pulling the wheels off and pads out
and, once again, found nothing suspicious.  Oh, and by the way, the tire
pressures are even so that shouldn't be the problem.  The only thing I can
find wrong in the area of the spindles and front wheels is that the tie rod
end boots are torn completely apart and the tie rods look a little tired.
Could this be the cause?  I know it's a long shot but I'm getting despirate
now.  Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.   Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Andy Walker
B382001600