Re: Transmission (long)

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission (long)
From: "John Crawley" <johnc@nait.ab.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:20:18 -0700
Jim:
It seems like you have the same overdrive top-loader that I put into my TIGER.
They were installed in 79 Granadas and are overdrive trans. They achieved this
by using the old 4th 1:1 as a third gear and the third gear as a fourth
overdrive.  The 1.27 ratio came in the 6 cylinder Granada and the 1.30 came with
the V-8. You are correct - the linkage lever was turned top to bottom and a
different linkage rod used to make it shift in the correct pattern. These are
good sound top loaders and will run all day in 3 or 4.  They have an upgraded
lay shaft that has extra oiling groves machined into the bearing surfaces to
allow them to run in 3rd. The big problem seems to be that they tend to wear
output tailshaft bearing shells a little faster for some strange reason. I have
an upgrade number from Ford to help this if you like. I have been told that O.D
trans. will last just a long as an standard top-loader in 1, 2, 3 gears but that
you should use a little more care about hammering it in 4th but I have not had
any problem with mine and I have run it for 10,000 mi. Your top end must be
wicked with the 351 and O.D. . . I can run the speedo into the serial numbers
with a 289 in my TIGER
 With the O.D. you can run a lower rear end and still be reasonable on the
hi-way. I also added an additive to the trans. oil to help make it a little
quieter in 4th.
Godspeed
Jc