RE: 351C, and miscellaneous rambles.

To: "'Bob Palmer'" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: RE: 351C, and miscellaneous rambles.
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:40:27 -0700
I guess you did :). On the weather: we had record highs earlier this week: 70
degrees (with an overnight low of about 30). This means either the soft top gets
a lot of exercise, or else it's a chilly drive in in the morning. I don't like
to do anything with the top if it's close to freezing, so I'll suffer windburn
instead.

Back on the odometer/speedo topic: Bob suggested that the effective tire
circumference (i.e. the distance covered in one revolution of the wheel) is a
little less than the tire radius x 2pi, presumably due to sidewall flex. How do
you reconcile this with the fact that you do present the whole tire footprint to
the pavement? Does the tread surface shrink where it contacts the road? Or does
it scrub where it gets planted on the ground, and then again where it leaves the
ground? It would be interesting to know how much of either effect takes place,
and how much the speedo / odo readings are actually affected.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705

        []  <snip>