Re: Talkin' Trash (bags, that is) and Rubber

To: Stu Brennan <sbrennan@master.ncounty.net>
Subject: Re: Talkin' Trash (bags, that is) and Rubber
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:34:27 -0800
Stu,

I am running 185x70 13 Michelin X on my American Racing 4.5"
rims with 0.25 NEGATIVE offset (stock offering in 1965).
Mod's were made by the P.O. in two areas.  The rear fender
lip, that is spot welded to the inner fender well lip, and
goes horizontally into the fenderwell was trimmed back by
die grinder to match the inner lip for about a 30 degree
circumference on each side of TDC.  This stops the sidewall
from hitting the lip in a high speed bump.  Alternately,
that lip could be folded over the inner lip with a little
‘persuasion.’  A better offset would probably have made this
unnecessary, but the negative offset puts the wheel further
out.

The front fender forward lower lip corner is folded in to
the inner well at about a 45 degree angle.  This is a roll
bend, not a crease, and can be straightened back out, if
ever desired.  1/4 inch spacers put the wheel even further
out.  I am in the process of removing the spacers, but found
the wheel inner bore is slightly smaller than the ridge on
the front bearing housing.  Now I know why the spacer was
put in.  It wasn't because "Wider is Better", although it
probably is, it made the car look a little like a hot
wheels.

This stuff is not difficult, not noticeable, and the
advantage of a larger diameter should not be overlooked.
Better RPM at cruising speed, and faster speeds before
shift.  To compensate for the to high first gear, I put in
the MkII wide ratio transmission.  Best performance improver
available.

Steve

Thanks for the Trash bag Idea.

--