RE: "" PATHETIC!!"" (long)

To: "'JAN HARDE'" <harde@cyberesc.net>, "PMUSS@aol.com" <PMUSS@aol.com>
Subject: RE: "" PATHETIC!!"" (long)
From: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:15:42 -0400
whew!  and i thought te/ae had problems!

it seems that this list is dominated by only about a half dozen people, so
maybe my views are skewed by you few as to the problems on the left coast.

i agree the time has come for a nationwide sunbeam club time.  in my neck of
the woods, te/ae has had problems, and it appears that you left coast guys are
in similar straights.  it seems both organizations are imploding.

it's time to move into the 1990's.

the internet changes everything, as should be obvious from this listserve.
i've learned more just lurking on this list than i have from any te/ae
newsletter.  i have access to much more cars and parts through the web than is
in the "rootes celler" in the te/ae newsletter.   i can send out a tiger
question, and get a qualified response almost immediately. i could not believe
that c.a.t. does not have a web page, and a ton of sunbeam folks on the right
coast don't even know they exist, much less know how to get in touch with them.
 no wonder they are having problems.  and the newsletter printing and mailing
costs seem to be draining the finances of both organizations.

a central sunbeam web site, for providing links to *anyone* who wants to
contribute could solve a whole bunch of current problems.  this portal to
sunbeam resources could be sponsored by national club member dues, as well as
corporate sponsors.  individual attempts at sunbeam web pages have been made in
the past, but they are disparate, and it seems their owners have almost given
up.

the problem, as i see it, is that everyone on the web is doing their own thing,
and everyone else has to discover the sites on their own, creating a fragmented
community.  the opportunity, as i humbly see it, is that we could create a
sponsored solution to the problem.  a nationwide club  group site could contain
access to all the links that anyone cared to contribute, including the
listserve.  any user could post items for sale, instead of waiting for an
individual volunteer webmaster or newsletter editor to get around to it.  meets
could be posted by folks organizing them, without waiting on the printing
presses.  tech tips could be posted by individuals without hoping that the next
printing of "sunbeam survivor" is less than three years away to be shared.
disenfranchised folks who feel that they are not getting their fair say can
have links to their fair say.  we could create a new model for sunbeam
enthusiasts to get together and exchange information that the clubs were
intended to do, and served well in the past, but apparently not now.

i have been blissfully uninvolved in the politics of both left and right coast
groups - i have no idea if the powers that be in the organizations would
contribute their current resources.  it seems this list is more actively
interested in supporting the marque than many of the traditional politicos.  if
there are kindred spirits who believe this model is better, let me know, and
i'll do what i can to help facilitate if there is enough interest....

Chris Thompson
Executive Vice President
Recognition Research, Inc.
1750 Kraft Dr. Suite 2000