Not so hot continued

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Not so hot continued
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 18:33:14 -0400
Folks,
        Today on the way to work( in traffic) I did
a slight acceleration, less than 3/4 throttle.  I was
monitoring the Gtech Pro at the time.  The HP reading
maxed at 226.  This is contrary to the "balls to the wall"
blast I did on Sunday which showed 114 HP.
        Well I believe I have found the problem.
The Gtech Pro is supported by a suction cup and a lever
arm that goes to the velcro mount of the Unit.  I noticed
that even on moderate acceleration, the unit moved back and in
an upward direction.  When I got to work, I gently moved the
Unit about the same amount that I had noticed under medium
acceleration.  The unit display changed from 0 to -.2 G.
Therefore, I am assuming that the sloppy mount of the
GtechPro was actually allowing some negative G to be subrtacted
from the true acceleration.  This would explain the 114 HP
reading as well as the 102 top speed in the 1/4.  I had noticed
that the speedometer was much higher than 100 mph during the
1/4 mile test. ( the speedometer reads slow by about 12 mph).

I assume the 226 reading was closer to true as I was not accelerating
very hard at all and the suction cup was more firmly attached
to the dash.  You have to push the very center of the suction cup
to get it to stick fairly well.  Even with this, the unit moved as noted
above.  It also falls off after 20 minutes or so even with a good
coating of spit.
        When I was testing the Tiger wide open, I also had the
ignition key jump out and land under the back of the front seat.
This does not kill the motor, but to turn the motor off I have to find the
key.  May have to add a strap from the dash to the key to keep from loosing the
key again.  The ignition switch is well worn and the key is only a few years
old..

Now I have to design and build a rigid mount for the Gtec pro before
I believe any of the numbers.  The problem is that the mount also
has to be adjustable in tilt for "Zeroizing" and the entry of Tiger Weight
is accomplished by tilting the unit around 45 degrees.
When you change from "HP" to 0-60 and 1/4 time you have to turn the
unit off and the weight entry is then lost.
Also need to be able to mount at right angles for lateral acceleration.

Still have the problem with very very hard shifting at high RPM.
Steve recommended a different oil and others suggested the clutch
and pilot bearing.  I have yet to add more clearance via
my mechnical clutch linkage. Tonight I may get to that.
The pilot bearing is a roller bearing.  I had the same problem
high RPM shift problem with the original Tiger wide ratio
transmission.  That is why I tried the newer transmission.
The problem is on the up shift, I know enough to double clutch on the
down shifts.  I would prefer not to have to double clutch on the
up shifts.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others