Re: Brake Sticking Problem

To: Schotland <gary@schotland.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Sticking Problem
From: Jeff Howarth <jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 13:26:35 +0100
Hi Gary,

I had a similar problem when I first rebuilt my booster.

What it turned out was that the vacuum piston was not returning and the
brakes were holding on. This would explain you pedal feel, brake lights
on and smoke!

I assume the inside of the vacuum canister is lubricated and clean.

The rubber O ring which goes inside the leather seal around the piston
is pushing the leather against the can too hard and causing enough
friction to hold it against the spring. I think the actual cause is that
in time the leather expands and needs a slightly smaller cross section O
ring.

What I know some people do is to cut the O ring in half lengthways. This
then puts less pressure on the leather seal and allows the piston to
move more freely.

One way to check would be to run the car until the brake lights stick
on, then tap the outside of the vacuum  drum on the servo, on mine this
allowed the piston to return and the brakes came off.

Hope it helps

--
Jeff Howarth