RE: Akerman Geometry and Chateau Elan

To: "'Bob Palmer'" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>,
Subject: RE: Akerman Geometry and Chateau Elan
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:18:59 -0600
Bob,

Since you've lengthened and angled the steering arms, what's your minimum wheel
diameter and offset? How close do the tierod ends come to the wheel at full
lock?

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705

        []  <snip>
> With regard to Chris's question about the "longer" MGB steering arms, I use
> them and recommend them highly, having mentioned them several times
> previously on the List. They work primarily because they are angled out
> instead of straight ahead like the stock Tiger arms. Being longer (ca.
> 0.5") helps a little too. Moving the rack back 0.5" helps a little bit
> more. Having done all these things, I can tell you that the squealing in
> turns has gone away and my cars rolls freely in tight turns, even going
> backwards. I use a quick ratio rack, but still have a standard diameter
> steering wheel. I believe a Midget rack is a quicker ratio than the stock
> Tiger rack and is also better built and generally steers easier, so perhaps
> this compensates for the quicker ratio in terms of steering effort. I
> personally favor a quicker ratio because it keeps you from having to cross
> your arms when doing fast, tight maneuvering; e.g., when autocrossing. Ever
> watch those in-car movies of the Tiger rallye car and notice all the wild
> arm movements of the driver? Bet he would have loved a quicker ration rack.

        []  Didn't Doane Spencer put in an MG rack, and then refuse to let
anyone except Jim Adams drive the car, since it was not 'factory' and therefore
illegitimate for the current racing regs? Of course, since it's reasonably
common knowledge that Doane did this, that makes it OK for us
vintage-racer-wannabes, right?

> TTFN,
>
> Bob

        []  <snip some more>