Re: Spark Plug stuff

To: Tiger News Group Address <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spark Plug stuff
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 17:33:07 -0700
On the mystery of plugs.

There is a lot of Urban legend about ignition.
Maximum advance of 39 degrees is not one of them,
unless you like replacing your engine a lot.

Indexing plugs sounds really high tech.  Must be
some parts stores in Canada that let you open all
their plug set boxes and sort out the ones you
like.  Don't think they do that at Pep Boys.

If your engine was designed with the correct plug
location, the fuel mixture is correct, the timing is
correct, the spark is healthy, the gap and timing
are correct, and the voltage is adequate (see
reported dyno of all kinds of systems from stock
through race not making much difference) I can't
believe the cylinder cares which way the ground is
facing. Split Fire just lost a suit by the
Government for false advertising on their plug.
Similar kind of idea.  Surface plugs are used in
aircraft with high energy systems.  The insulator is
flush with the fat center electrode and the plug
wall.  I believe a semiconductor insulator is used
to allow a sheet of spark across the face of the
plug.  Don't count me as the expert on aircraft
plugs, though.  We lit off our rockets with a lot of
pyrotechnic fireworks.  Did use those face surface
plugs in a few applications.

It's kind of like the fuse to the dynamite doesn't
really care just how you hold the match.

Just my opinion, not based upon discrete knowledge.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

_/_/_/_/
                         _/
                    _/_/_/