Re: brake line fittings

To: Schotland <gary@schotland.com>
Subject: Re: brake line fittings
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 11:57:08 -0700
Schotland wrote:

> Rule #1: Never, ever work on something critical on your LBC when you're too
> tired to think straight.

You got that right.

> I did just that at 3am this morning while trying to attach a brake line to a
> booster fitting and ended up creating a lot of extra work. So what else is
> new?  I boogered up the brake line fitting from cross-threading to such an
> extent that I had to replace the entire line.

What about the female thread you were trying to cross thread as well?

> The replacement line is almost the same, with nice bubble flares, but with a
> short fitting on one end.  This short fitting prevents the bubble flare from
> mating with the inside face of the female fitting.  The collar of the male
>fitting
> mates fine with the outside face of the female fitting, seemingly making a
> tight seal.

You SURE you shouldn't have put the short fitting on the OTHER end?  I am not
criticizing.  I, too, notice that these lines seem to have one “collar” longer
than
the other, and I don't know why.  Maybe you just found out?

> The Question: Will this union leak?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

YES!!!!!!  The seal is from squeezing the bubble (or double) flare against the
mating
surface on the inside bottom of the junction.  Gary, buy another $2.50 line,
check
the depth of both cylinder flare bores, and put the correct size on the correct
end.
No criticism, because I'm not sure why they are different, but they didn't
double
their part numbers for nothing.   Oh yes, please use a good tube bender for
those
bends.

Please let me know what you find out.  I am CC:ing the list to see if anyone
knows
for sure why they have two different length end threads. but I am positive that
the
deal is at the bottom. I'd like to know myself.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/